Friday 10 August 2012

Evolution of Style: Selena Gomez




Welcome to the very first segment of Evolution of Style! I must say, I love Selena Gomez's style, but, when you start off in the industry so young, your bound to get a few disasters - I'll be looking at Selena Gomez's most memorable looks since her breakthrough in 2007, and I will rate all of her looks out of 10 - Selena, beware!





                         









 LOOK 1: May 2007 - Oh dear! Not a fan - the top is unstylish, the jeans are slightly to big, and she's wearing bangles AND a ring on the same hand - classic case of overaccessorising. Not good. And she should only be wearing bracelets on one arm. On a lighter hand, I do like the layered necklaces, and I do love the fact that she's wearing a waistcoat - she used to wear them a lot, they're both very young and also quite 1800's, which I adore. I love that she's wearing converse instead of heels - she's too young to be wearing heels. She's also wearing the right amount of makeup for someone her age, and her unstyled hair is very endearing. 6/10  

LOOK 2: September 2007 - To this day, this is my least favourite look she has ever worn. I do not like the hair at all, the necklace are unnecessary, overaccessorised on the wrists again, and that T-Shirt is both slightly too big and inappropriate for the event. The belt is so unnecessary and makes her look shorter and chunkier. I also don't get the shorts - they are way too big, they might as well be a skirt. And those tights - urghh! If I could restyle this outfit, but it still look remotely similar, I would have made her hair loose, tightened the t-shirt, replaced the shorts with tight-high waisted denim shorts, normal black tights, and nicer black heels. And a pop of colour on the lip. But even that might look awful - there's not helping this outfit. 3/10

LOOK 3: August 2008 - Oh dear- another faux pas! The dress does not flatter her and looks cheap, as do the shoes, her makeup looks a bit drab and her hair looks unhealthy. But, I must say, I like how she's matched her accessories so they're all silver, and her hair, makeup and even the top of the dress looked gorgeous in the close ups - maybe these were just bad shots. And I do love the rose ring, but it (again) looks cheap, and does not go with the outfit at all. 5/10

LOOK 4: October 2008 - Okay, i LOVE. Her bracelets should really only have been on one arm, and she's wearing the same shoes as in Look 2 and she should have been wearing more polished-looking black heels, so I won't forgive that. I love the play suit - it's so cute, but I don't like the jeans. The legs should have been bare or with black tights, but I'll hand that to her because jeans under skirts/dresses was a trend for tweens back then. The streaks in her hair and young and fun, and I adore the waistcoat, and even the necklace (and I don't normally like necklaces. Her makeup looks very age-appropriate, although maybe a slightly more rosy lip is calling. 7.5/10

LOOK 5: December 2008 - So, her makeup looks fresh, although I would have preferred a more pinky-purply lip to go with the dress. The shoes are slightly too old for her, but a definite improvement for her previous shoes. I love the purple and black colour scheme, and I love the concept of the dress, but I can't quite make up my mind as to how I feel about this dress. It does look a little too busy, and I'm not a fan of her hair like that, but I like that she tried to pull her hair back and keep her accessories minimal as she wanted to dress to do the talking. I'm not a fan, but you've got to give her kudos for taking a risk with her fashion - the other teen stars never really did that before. 6.5/10

LOOK 6:  January 2009 - Oh dear, Selena really needs to improve her tailoring. This dress would look so much nicer if it was well-fitted. Again, I like the idea of the dress, but it just looks like the thing that covers my toilet paper, and the material looks cheap. I like to avoid a nude shoe as much as possible, but I love her makeup - the red lip gives the outfit the pop of colour it needs. I love her hair as well - she really is good at switching up her hair styles and making them work.  7/10

LOOK 7: October 2009 -So, maybe this outfit isn't show stopping, but this is the moment when I realised how much fashion potential Selena has for someone so young. This is a classic LBD, stylish but not too boring because of the sleeve detail. I don't love the bracelet on her right hand, but I love the clutch, and she's finally found a nice black shoe that looks polished and age appropriate. Not a big fan of the earrings, but there's not many other earrings you could wear with a black dress and no gold or silver accessories, so I won't begrudge her that. Her hair looks slick and sophisticated, but not too "done" and her makeup is flawless - I really do love her with a red lip. Negatives? This is a classic case of not pulling your dress down when you get out of the car. Too many creases. But nobody's perfect. 8/10

LOOK 8: November 2009 - Flawless. I can't fault it. This dress is simple, chic and does her body justice...and it's well tailored! Her hair looks loose and gorgeous, but still styled, I like the earrings, the bag, and for once, I like the bracelet. If she didn't have on any jewellery this would have been boring. And she's wearing the same shoes as in Look 6, but this time it really works - a coloured shoe would have ruined the sophisticated feel of this outfit, and a white shoe would have been tacky. My only criticism is that this would look just as good as a woman  ten years older - your only young once, you should really wear things that only someone your age could wear. And I would have adored a red lip, but maybe it wouldn't have worked. 9/10

LOOK 9: March 2010 - Love! The necklace is unnecessary, which I don't like, and I'm not a fan of the bag, but I'm not sure what other bag would have worked, so I won't complain. The grecian-style dress is classic, but the yellow colour stops it from being boring, and is difficult to pull off, but Selena does it perfectly. The belt shows off her tiny waist, and the shoes, although I don't love them, do give this outfit the risk that it needs. I like that her black toenails contrast with the sunny yellow dress, though I wish her fingernails had been painted. I do like her makeup, and I adore her hair. It looks neat yet effortless, and is a style only a young girl like her can pull off. 8/10

LOOK 10: August 2010 - For starters, I am so jealous that she owns loboutins. I want a pair! But anyway, I adore this outfit. The belt on top of two layers is a big risk and could have looked awful, but it looks stunning. The white makes her skin look gorgeous and her legs look amazing. Her hair is styled to perfection, and her makeup is stunning and she looks so much older...and she has my favourite red lip! But again, would have looked stunning on someone 10 years older. Sad. 9/10


LOOK 11: December 2010 - Okay, I know a lot of people don't "get" this asymmetrical dress - the "mixi" or "high-low" as we call it in England, and the "mullet" as they call it in the US, but I think it's a young twist on a ballgown, a fun alternative the same "princess dress" that everyone else is wearing, and great way to show off your legs whilst still looking formal and hiding cellulite. I do love this look, I love her hair and makeup, and the dress is fitted perfectly and shows off her great figure, and I adore the bracelet, but I don't love her earrings and I HATE her shoes. Great dress, ruined by the accessories. 8/10

LOOK 12: February 2011 - Gorgeous! Stunning! Fantastic! This dress is amazing, and 2011 is the year when Selena really started to be aware of her sexuality, which is fine, because she is now a woman. The dress is fitted to perfect, and it's incredible that she found a bag that matched it. I don't like the bracelet, I feel that she should have let the dress do the talking, but kept the stunning earrings. Her makeup is absolute perfect, I am literally in love with the makeup, and her hair looks absolutely stunning, she suits the middle parting.  9.5/10

LOOK 13: March 2011 - While everyone else was focused on the fact she was snuggling up to Justin Bieber, I was looking at her dress - again, LOVE. The grecian style is similar to Look 9, but this is longer, which is ideal considering that this was a year on, and within that year she officially became a woman, and the event is much more glamorous. The dress is gorgeous, her figure looks incredible, and I adore the bag, which matches the belt and shoulder detail on the dress. I don't love her bangle, but I like that it matches the earrings. 9/10

LOOK 14: May 2011 - I must say, the reason there are so many outfits from this year is because this is the year Selena really pulled out all the stops and became, in my eyes, a style icon. This  dress is no exception. The cut out detail stops the dress from being too boring, and is sexy but not over the top. The earrings are stunning and I love her hair this colour and texture - sleek and straight looks perfect on her. Her makeup isn't spectacular, but I love her dress, and I love the shoes, and even though they don't exactly go with the rest of the outfit, they give it the pop of colour it needs. 9/10

LOOK 15: August 2011 - W-O-W. This is so dark, gothic and edgy, but young and totally hot at the same time.I love that she chose gold accessories - black would have been bland and any other colour would have ruined the dark, intense effect. Her skin is glowing, and her hair is suitably pulled back to show off the gorgeous neck detail on her dress. Stunning. 9.5/10


LOOK 16: November 2011 - I love this dress. Like her previous dress, it's unique and edgy, but instead of having a gothic feel, this is light and airy. Her hair looks young and unstyled, but gorgeous, and I love the back. And this is same month Bella's wedding dress was revealed in the Twilight film (left) - coincidence? I love the shoes, and I like that she matched her clutch to her toenails, but I'd rather they both were pink. I wish her finger nails were pink too. I know she was trying to contrast the white with the black nails but I feel like it takes aware the essence of the outfit.  So I don't really like the bag and nails, but I adore the dress way too much to let the rating suffer too much. 9.5/10


LOOK 17: April 2012 - So, Selena got a lot of stick for this outfit. I think it's because in the US, they hadn't really seen a "bralet" before, but in England, they're quite common, and as long as they're worn with a high waisted skirt or shorts, I don't think they're too revealing. I don't love this outfit though- I love the pieces individually, but not together. I like the bralet, and I love the skirt (although I don't like the square pattern at the top of it), but together, it's not as flawless as how Selena dressed throughout 2011. I do love the pink shoes though - on any other colour carpet, they would have looked odd with the rest of the outfit, but it looks great on the orange carpet. The outfits very busy, so I appreciate her lack of accessories, and although I prefer her hair more long and loose, she did have to keep it shoulder length or it would have hidden the bralet. I don't like the makeup though - they're too much on her skin, which makes her face look dull, and the eye makeup is overpowering her small eyes. If I was her makeup artist, I would have halved the makeup on the skin, put on a small amount of eye makeup and given her a popping pink lip to match the heels. I do like that she's finally dressing right for her age - this is the kind of thing my sister, who is the same age as her, would wear 7/10

LOOK 18: July 2012 - I cannot express how much I love this look. Her figure looks amazing, her dress is casual but the colour isn't boring. Her makeup is flawless, for once I love the simple lip, I adore her hair, it looks so light and dip dyed! I love that her shoes aren't pick with the dress and that her dress isn't white like the shoes, and I love the lack of accessories. With a simple but flattering dress, fairly simple shoes, and sleek, simple hair, all the focus is on her face, which looks absolutely stunning. I love that she's finally found the balance between dressing sleek and sophisticated and dressing young and bright. 10/10


No comments:

Post a Comment