Friday 19 October 2012

CARTOON TUESDAY: Disney's 'Sleeping Beauty'

Hello guys, happy cartoon tuesday friday! Seeing as I haven't blogged for about 7 weeks, I think it's only fair I post a cartoon tuesday as soon as I get back, so here goes!

Sleeping Beauty. Princess Aurora. Briar Rose.
She's often considered the most beautiful disney princess, and her body proportions were based on Audrey Hepburn (don't get much more classy and sophisticated than that), and she really is. When you see her on the bed sleeping - her make up looks amazing. And when someone's animated and you can still tell the makeup's amazing, you know it really.
So yeah, she's pretty, she's nice, she's a bit of an airhead, and like most girls, she has a wardrobe dilemma as to whether to where pink or blue. Classic.
But that doesn't mean her clothes are particularly fashion forward. I tried to find ways of making her clothes fashionable now - the point off the shoulders, the star shape around the hips, the tiara...i even considered getting dresses with roses on them. How desperate.
And then I remembered her 'peasant' outfit from earlier in the film, and several more things came up - she had a head scarf, she was wearing grey (i know that sounds weird, but that colour is popping up everywhere), and for whatever reason, i really love that little cross saxon-esque detail on her bodice.
I actually love watching period-films or fantasy films like Lord of the Rings where they have this kind of Criss-Cross on dresses, I think it's just an edgy twist on a regal dress. But I totally get why people don't do that anymore. It's outdated and would probably look weird in contemporary outfits. Although back in July Diane Kruger (at the Cannes Film Festival 2012) and Jessica Alba (on the cover of Elle) both rocked the Saxon/Hooker look, in what is admittedly one of the most slutty but interesting looks of the year and I loved it. But maybe it's just because I love the Criss-Cross.
But seeing as this dress would not suit everyone, we should probably move on to more wearable ways to quirk up an outfit. And also because this dress is Versus by Versace Fall 2012 and therefore is around £500. That's a good reason too.
Anyway, in 2011, women decided to take a particular interest in another disney character: Peter Pan. Yes, 2011 brought along with it, the return of the Peter Pan collar. Quirky? Maybe. Cute? Definitely. Childish: 100%. You're only young once. You are not allowed to dress up as a toddler unless you are a clown. It is not permitted.
Anyway, the Peter Pan collars that irritate me that much are the babyish, rounded Peter Pan collars. I'm all about old-school fashion, but you really have to adapt and evolve to make an old trend modern, and Aurora's peasant outfit demonstrates just how to do that: the pointy collar.
So I fell in love with this type of collar a while back, when I saw Kathering Jenkins wearing this kind of collar and I loved it. Since then, I've experimented with these types of collars. I've browsed around shops, looked online, made my own with shirts (vintage, satin, old school shirts, anything goes), ribbon, studs, elastic, material, a sewing kid, tie dying etc.., and it turns out that making you own collar, or buying one you love is a really fun way to quirk up any outfit! I adore collar necklaces; they give the collars the glam factor that they sometimes need. So below are some of my favourite, low-budget finds from the web. It includes the likes of ASOS and River Island, but Topshop do the best ones for me!



No comments:

Post a Comment